Policy for CSE Elective Focus Areas
- The EFA courses must be part of an overall coherent plan of study formulated by the student. The EFA courses may not be an unorganized potpourri of courses.
- The 15 semester hours of EFA courses and plan of study must be approved by the student’s academic advisor and Department Chair. An approved list of EFA courses and plan of study must be on file prior to the student registering for EFA courses as an ECE student.
- The EFA courses consist of
- ECE Electives: 6 SH of elective ECE courses including at least 3 SH at the 5000-level or above.
- CS Electives: 6 SH of approved CS courses including at least 3 SH at the 4000-level or above. (See list below)
- Additional Elective: one 3 SH additional elective. NOTE: students graduating before Fall 2017 are required to have 6 SH of additional electives.
- No course that is a prerequisite (or has equivalent content to a prerequisite) to a required CSE program course may be used as an EFA course. No course with similar topical content to an CSE course but taught at a lower level may be used as an EFA course.
- Each undergraduate student must demonstrate that they have the ability to function on a multidisciplinary team. To satisfy this requirement, a student must take a course from an approved list of multidisciplinary team courses as part of the EFA. A student will not have to take a multidisciplinary team course if they participate in cooperative education and internship work experiences, special design sequences such as PEDE, extracurricular design team activities, and/or an interdisciplinary research team.